UTC - Background
The Urban Thinkers Campus (UTC) is an initiative of the World Urban Campaign driven by UN-Habitat. The UTC is conceived as an open space for critical exchange between urban researchers, professionals, and decision-makers who believe that urbanization is an opportunity and can lead to positive urban transformations. It is also intended as a platform to build consensus between partners engaged in addressing urbanization challenges and proposing solutions to urban futures.
The first Urban Thinkers in Campus session was organized on the theme The City We Need and brought together urban thinkers and established UN-Habitat partner organizations and constituencies to reflect on current urban challenges and trends and to propose a new urban paradigm. The new paradigm would be a contribution to the New Urban Agenda, delivered at the United Nations Conference on Housing and Sustainable Urban Development (Habitat III) in 2016.
Through an inclusive debate and review process driven by partners sessions focused on The City We Need, the Campuses have been a opened space for debate, learning, consensus building, and drafting between a large number of participants. The World Urban Campaign Steering Committee recommended that other Urban Thinkers Campuses be solicited by the WUC Secretariat in order to amplify the urban thinkers’ movement after Habitat III towards the implementation of the New Urban Agenda.
Since 2015, about 35,000 people have participated in about 150 Urban Thinkers Campus Sessions worldwide.
Urban Thinkers Campuses should contribute directly to the following objectives:
- Broaden and strengthen the engagement of urban stakeholders on the implementation of the New Urban Agenda.
- Define priorities and means of actions to implement the New Urban Agenda.
- Gather individual organizations commitments and agree to roles and responsibilities in the implementation of specific actions.
- Define action plans combining all priority actions and commitments of stakeholders engaged in the priority actions.
- Agree on an implementable road map with key milestones towards the implementation of priority actions to deliver the New Urban Agenda.
- Share their commitments, action plans and road map publicly through WUC outreach channels (website, social media, email and others).
1 Feb 2021